I’ve done a bit of minor tweaking to the Subscribe2 Widget-Hack–I really only changed some display problems, the main widget works just the same. The big news is that I finally figured out how to use the SVN repository at wordpress.org/extend/plugins. It’s just a big fancy way of keeping track of the different versions and it allows you to take advantage of the upgrade notification introduced in WordPress 2.3. Anyway, the newest version of the Subscribe2 Widget-Hack (1.2.1) is available here. Let me know if there are any questions.
I apologize that it’s taken me so long to update the Subscribe2 Widget, but here it is and should be working with WP 2.2+ and Subscribe2 v.3+. As always, let me know if something goes awry.
I’ve heard that the widget I made for the Email notification plugin is not working with WP 2.2.1. I’ve recently moved and am starting a new job and unfortunately don’t have time in the next few weeks to work on it. I’ll take a look at it as soon as I can and (hopefully) release a new version as soon as possible. Thanks for your patience.
I just wanted to let you know that a newer version of the Subscribe2 Widget Hack is up and available. I have changed it to be completely user-friendly. You no longer have to edit the file at all–it will pull the permalink from the Subscribe2 ‘S2PAGE’ constant defined in the Subscribe2 Plugin. So, to use:
- Disable and remove any old version of the Subscribe2 Widget (hack or otherwise)
- Upload and enable version 1.1 of the Subscribe2 Widget-Hack.
By the way, this hack was meant to be a simple solution to those having problems with the original Subscribe2 widget. I had/have no real intentions to develop it further than increasing the compatibility of the excellent Subscribe2 plugin. That being said, if you have any feature suggestions or usability comments, please leave a comment here and I’ll see what I can do.
Edit: Just a note to tell you there is a more recent version of the widget hack…please do not use the file on this page unless you have a problem with the newer version
After finding Matt Robinson’s Subscribe2 Plugin incredibly useful, I ran into the same problem that several other users had when using the Subscribe2 Widget. I set about hacking the widget plugin to make it work, and have appeared to be successful. You do have to edit something in the file, but here’s the directions:
- Disable the original Subscribe2 Widget.
- Upload the Subscribe2 Widget Hack to your plugins or widget directory.
- Edit the define(‘S2PERM’,”) line (line 18) to the permalink that points to the page you are using for subscribers. Where ‘yoursite.com’ is your domain and ‘wordpress’ is your WordPress installation directory:
- define(‘S2PERM’, ‘http://yoursite.com/wordpress/email-updates/’)
- define(‘S2PERM’, ‘http://yoursite.com/wordpress/?p=27’)
- Enable the Subscribe2 Widget Hack…You’re Done!
If you have any questions or comments, please leave them here.
Download the Subscribe2 Widget Hack