March 29th, 2007

Edit: Just a note to tell you there is a more recent version of the widget hack…please do not use the file on this page unless you have a problem with the newer version

After finding Matt Robinson’s Subscribe2 Plugin incredibly useful, I ran into the same problem that several other users had when using the Subscribe2 Widget. I set about hacking the widget plugin to make it work, and have appeared to be successful. You do have to edit something in the file, but here’s the directions:

1. Disable the original Subscribe2 Widget.
  2. Upload the Subscribe2 Widget Hack to your plugins or widget directory.
  3. Edit the define(‘S2PERM’,”) line (line 18) to the permalink that points to the page you are using for subscribers. Where ‘yoursite.com’ is your domain and ‘wordpress’ is your WordPress installation directory:
    • define(‘S2PERM’, ‘http://yoursite.com/wordpress/email-updates/’)
    • define(‘S2PERM’, ‘http://yoursite.com/wordpress/?p=27′)
  4. Enable the Subscribe2 Widget Hack…You’re Done!

If you have any questions or comments, please leave them here.

Download the Subscribe2 Widget Hack

22 Responses to “Subscribe2 widget Hack”

1. Chew Hoeon 13 Apr 2007 at 10:40 am

It works for my website.

Thanks alot. Please keep me inform is there is an upgrade.

2. Chew Hoeon 13 Apr 2007 at 10:52 am

Since the plugin work, I don’t need to display the subscribe page. Do you know how can I hide the page?

3. Kenon 13 Apr 2007 at 12:20 pm

Chew, glad it works for you. I will be working on it a bit in the future to try and have it be completely plug ‘n play–no having to edit the source code. Check back here for the updates.

Though I haven’t checked for an easier solution, what I have done is put the page as a sub-page under one of my pages (I only display the ‘top-level’ pages, so subpages are not displayed). A quick search at wordpress.org found this link. Hope it’s helpful.? Remember that the page is necessary to use my widget, so you can’t just delete it!

4. Piotron 04 May 2007 at 2:57 pm

Sorry, but I don’t quite get it.
    How to put “Subscribe2 widget Hack” on my web page?
    I can’t see widget box “Sidebar widget”!

5. Kenon 04 May 2007 at 3:08 pm

Piotr,

You need to download the most recent version of the Widget Hack here.

You must also have the Subscribe2 plugin installed and enabled along with the Sidebar widget plugin.

If this doesn’t help, please let me know exactly what problem you are having.

Ken

6. Red Leaderon 04 May 2007 at 3:46 pm

I tried to install your plugin hack but now i don’t see the widget to drop in to the sidebar i want in the ‘sidebar widgets’ section of presentation.

have any advice? maybe we can shoot some ideas back and forth

7. Kenon 04 May 2007 at 4:04 pm

Red,

Hmm…have you downloaded and enabled the most recent version (1.1) of the hack? It has worked pretty slick for me when I’ve done it on my blogs. Please check that it is enabled and let me know if you can find any other problems. Thanks.

Ken

8. Piotron 05 May 2007 at 1:30 pm

OK, I’ve found something:

After changing name of class:

//if ( !function_exists(‘register_sidebar_widget’) || !class_exists(‘subscribe2′))
    if ( !function_exists(‘register_sidebar_widget’) || !class_exists(‘s2class’))

widget is visible but when I click on “You may manage your subscription options from your profile” I got under Authors->Subscription:
    “Fatal error: Cannot redeclare class s2class in /usr/share/wordpress/wp-content/plugins/subscribe2/subscribe2.php on line 57″

When I click on “Subscription” again everything is working OK.

Piotr

9. Kenon 05 May 2007 at 4:11 pm

Piotr,

Ok…a couple of things to try. First, make sure you are using the most recent version (v1.1) of the widget hack. Second, be sure you do not have the original Subscribe2 widget enabled. The hack is meant as a replacement, not an addition. If you can confirm you are using 1.1 and aren’t using the original widget, then I’ll see what else I can think of. Ideally, try running it with only the following plugins: Sidebar Widgets, Subscribe2 plugin, and the most recent version of the widget hack (located here.
    Thanks,
    Ken

10. Piotron 06 May 2007 at 2:57 am

Ken,

I’m using the most recent version of widget and of course original widget is DISABLED.

11. Goroon 20 Jun 2007 at 10:38 am

Hi, I am having the same problem that Piotr, I installed the plugin Subscribe2 and everything worked ok, I activated the plugin and cool, I checked my list of subscribers and fine… It is working when I am logged out I can see the Subscription form at the page I set as subscribe page. but when I log in I see a message that tell me
    You may manage your subscription options from your profile. and at profile I can click and it carries me to my admin account to my USERS- Subscriptions and give me a message telling
    Fatal error: Cannot redeclare class s2class in /home/seorepre/public_html/labriegosencillo/wp-content/plugins/subscribe2/subscribe2.php on line 57

I downloaded the S2 Widget Hack and enable, I disabled the original widget, I mean the other plugin at my widgets.. What am I doing wrong?

Can you help

12. Kenon 25 Jun 2007 at 3:36 pm

Goro,

I’m traveling right now for the next week, I’ll try to take a look at it when I can, but I can’t promise anything right away. When you try clicking the profile link…what user level are you logged in as (Admin, Author, etc.) if you could try several different user levels and let me know if they all have the problem, or just one, that’d be great…thanks.

13. PQon 05 Mar 2008 at 8:11 pm

Excellent hack. Solved a problem I was having with Subscribe2 interfering with the Event Calendar 3 widget. Good hack!!! Thanks.

14. baronon 11 May 2008 at 12:38 pm

hi there .thanks for plugin:

Does anybody know if tis script is compatible with WordPress 2.5.1 ?

Thanks in advance for any help on this!

regards

15. Kienon 27 Jun 2008 at 3:27 pm

Hi there I’ve followed all your instructions activated the widget and made sure the subscribe2 widget enabled and I’ve tried to sidebars and you can see my page got 3 rolls. Niether one would even show at all.

Need your help. If i need to manually input the codes on my sidebar perhaps?

thanks in advance
    Kien

16. Hyperfuse 2013 low

17. ray ban arista frame crystal green polarized lens rb8307 tech sunglasses sale

18. ???? ??????? rb3025on 22 Jan 2014 at 3:48 am

basis then the chances are you are you need some ??????? ??? 2014 of help and should talk to your doctor or health care professional. ConclusionMany of us today have busy lifestyles and believe that we have

19. sites for meeting girlson 22 Jan 2014 at 5:00 am

Excellent blog here! Also your site rather a lot up fast! What web host are you the use of? Can I am getting your affiliate link on your host? I wish my site loaded up as quickly as yours lol.

20. sbobeton 05 Mar 2014 at 9:28 pm

While I’m positive nkne of the on the weeb casinos I perform roulettee in cgeat you are still at the mercy of a computer algorithm att the conclusion of it.

2 hours subsequent instruction get a multi-vitamin (with
    iron), stretch, annd foam roll alll decrease
    body muscle groups. Irrespective of whether a person iss experienced or new to the world of betting,
    only a good understanding of the world of sports betting ccan enable him
    to reduce the loses or increase the profits he
    iss earning from betting.

21. suiton 06 Mar 2014 at 1:14 am

Teflon: Thhe same comments that apply to microfiber also apply
    to Teflon. There were three top career choices that I chose from both SIGI+ and Carer Cruising.
    Strawberry blond, gray, white and light brown are cool colours.

22. Dorthyon 15 Jul 2014 at 5:15 am

It’s hard to find your blog in google. I found it on 11 spot, you should build quality backlinks , it will help you to
    get more visitors. I know how to help you, just type in google – k2 seo tips and tricks

Trackback URI | Comments RSS